When it comes to the choice of a university, many factors influence students’ decisions. Teaching and research quality and reputation of a university are significant contributors to its international and local appeal. Today different university rankings help students explore performance indicators of universities around the world without leaving their homes. That is why university’s inclusion into world university rankings is a sign of its recognition in the international academic and research environment.
As a result of consistent and hard work, South Ural State University continuously improves its ranking positions in Russia and abroad. The University is building a strong international reputation and is becoming a fierce competitor in the education market.
QS WORLD UNIVERSITY RANKINGS
In 2018 South Ural State University was ranked among the world’s best universities by QS World University Rankings. This academic ranking is among the most influential university rankings in the world. Every year QS World University Rankings assess over 4 thousand universities around the world and publish a list of the best academic institutions. Published annually, QS World University Rankings by Subject helps prospective students identify the leaders in their chosen academic and research fields.
South Ural State University is proud to be among the 27 Russian universities and the only university of the Chelyabinsk region ranked in QS WUR.
QS WUR Methodology
QS WUR evaluate all universities according to its six metrics:
- Academic reputation (world’s academic survey on teaching and research quality of universities)
- Employer reputation (world’s employer survey on the most competent university graduates)
- Faculty/student ratio (university teaching quality depending on the number of academic staff per student)
- Citations per faculty (university research quality depending on the number of citations per one academic staff)
- International faculty ratio (university cultural diversity depending on the number of the international team)
- International student ratio (university cultural diversity depending on the number of international students)
RUR WORLD UNIVERSITY RANKING
RUR World University Ranking aims to provide various audiences with a comprehensive analysis of the world’s universities. Every year the RUR system evaluates universities according to the twenty indicators grouped into the following categories:
- Teaching quality
- Research quality
- International Diversity (students and staff)
- Financial Sustainability
In 2018, South Ural State University became one of the world’s leading universities according to RUR World University Rankings.
RUR TECHNICAL SCIENCES WORLD UNIVERSITY RANKING
RUR Technical Sciences World University Ranking specifically evaluates university courses in technology and engineering. The ranking examines 52 subjects such as Mechanical Engineering, Mining & Metallurgy, Nanoscience & Nanotechnology, etc.
In 2018, South Ural State University was ranked among the world’s best universities for technology and engineering degrees.
WORLDWIDE PROFESSIONAL UNIVERSITY RANKINGS
RankPro World University Rankings evaluates universities based on the views of the world’s academic and research staff. Universities are ranked according to a set of indicators grouped into the following categories:
- Academic performance
- BC-index (information available on university home page (English version))
- Reputation (national and international)
In 2018, South Ural State University improved its position in RankPro compared to the previous year.
WEBOMETRICS RANKING OF WORLD UNIVERSITIES
Aimed to improve the available information about universities on the Internet, Webometrics Ranking of World Universities examines universities’ web presence and the volume and quality of its content online. The Webometrics Ranking evaluated over 12 000 university websites according to the following criteria:
- Web presence (total number of web pages)
- Impact (quality of web content, number of backlinks/back domains)
- Research excellence (number of research papers in high impact journals)
- Openness (total number of documents in pdf, doc, ppt, etc.)
In 2018 South Ural State University visibly improved its position in Webometrics Ranking of World Universities.
UNIRANK UNIVERSITY RANKING
uniRank University Ranking is a non-academic ranking that focuses on the evaluation of universities’ web presence and popularity to provide a better understanding of the visibility and recognition of universities in foreign countries. To rank the web presence of universities, uniRank University Ranking uses five independent web metrics from four web intelligence sources:
- Domain authority (quality and quantity of external links according to Google) by Moz Domain Authority
- Domain popularity (number of visitors and viewed pages) by Alexa Global Rank
- Digital market share (number of visitors and quality and quantity of resources) by SimilarWeb Global Rank
- Quality and number of external links by Majestic Referring Domains
- Online prominence (quality of link profile)
With uniRank University Ranking assessing over 13 000 universities worldwide, South Ural State University is more than 11 000 universities ahead!
EXPERT RA RANKING
Expert Ra (RAEX) is the largest credit rating agency in Russia. Apart from debt ratings, the company regularly issues the ranking of Russian universities. The universities are ranked depending on the quantitative and qualitative indicators of academic and research performance and the universities’ employer reputation.
As one of the Russian most trusted independent news agencies, Interfax have their Russian university ranking to offer that includes six indicators:
- Academic performance
- Research performance
- University social engagement
- International and regional collaboration
- Brand communication
South Ural State University is among the institutions officially recognised by Interfax university ranking.
WEBSITE INTERNATIONALIZATION RANKING: RUSSIAN UNIVERSITIES 2017-2018
In 2018, the Russian International Affairs Council (RIAC) published their Website Internationalization Ranking. Analysis of 65 English-version websites of Russian universities revealed the country’s leading institutions in terms of their web presence and engagement. RIAC specialists examined the number of university web pages and their quality in English according to a set of criteria. South Ural State University is among the top 20 Russian universities for English-language website version.