Applying for a Student Visa

Do you need a visa to study in Russia?

As in any other country, citizens from certain countries do not need a visa to enter the Russian Federation. To check if you are allowed to visit Russia visa-free, please see this website.

Do you need a visa to study in Russia?

As you can see, you do not need a visa if you are from one of the following countries:

  • Azerbaijan;
  • Abkhazia;
  • Southern Ossetia;
  • Belarus;
  • Kazakhstan;
  • Moldova;
  • Tajikistan;
  • Ukraine;
  • Armenia;
  • Uzbekistan;
  • Kyrgyzstan.

Other international citizens coming to study at South Ural State University will need a Student Visa.

Russian Student Visa

Russian Student Visa

Purpose of visit:

  • Russian language course;
  • Foundation program;
  • Undergraduate programs;
  • Postgraduate programs.


The visa fee depends on the country you apply from. Please check this information in the Russian Embassy/ Visa Consulate in your country.


At first, a student visa is issued for 90 days. When you arrive at South Ural State University, you must get your visa extended. The visa can be extended for a maximum period of 1 year. This means you will need to apply for further extensions depending on the number of your study years. At South Ural State University the Immigration Services will gladly do the visa extension process for you so you do not need to worry about that. All you need to do is to bring the set of necessary documents to the Immigration Services 40 days before your visa extension.

In case you decide or are required to interrupt or withdraw from your study, you will be required to leave Russia within 3 days of the official date of your interruption.



The permission to work depends on the type of your studies at South Ural State University:

  • Russian language course or foundation program: you are not allowed to work
  • Undergraduate or postgraduate program: you are allowed to work only at South Ural State University during the school term. During school break, you are allowed to work officially in any organization you want. There are no work hours restrictions.
  • Internship program: you are not allowed to work

Where to apply for a Russian Student Visa

You can get your student visa through the Russian Embassy or Russian Consulate in your country.

Electronic letter of invitation

To get your student visa, you will need to submit an electronic letter of invitation to the Embassy/Consulate. This invitation is issued within 1 month after you have submitted the document package to South Ural State University:

  • copy of your passport/ identity document (recognized by the Russian Federation) + certified Russian translation
  • certificate/diploma of your completed degree + certified Russian translation and transcript/supplement + certified Russian translation (if you apply for a postgraduate degree)

The electronic invitation letter will be sent to you by South Ural State University. The printed version will be waiting for you at the Russian representation (Russian Embassy or Consulate) in your country.

Visa application and waiting period

The student visa is usually issued within 7 to 14 working days after you have submitted all the necessary documents. As a rule, in Russian universities, the term starts on September 1st. So leave yourself enough time (at least 45 days prior to the planned arrival date) for getting permission to enter Russia as a student!


If you wish to change your course or institution, you will need to apply for a new a new visa.

List of documents for a Russian Student Visa*:

  • original passport (valid for minimum 18 months from the visa issue date)/ identity document (recognized by the Russian Federation)
  • visa application form (fill out the form here)
  • passport-size photo (not older than 6 months)
  • electronic invitation letter from university (valid for 3 months)
  • HIV-negative status certificate (issued in Russian and English)

* Note that this a general list. Ask the Russian Embassy or Russian Consulate in your country for more information.


List of documents for visa extension:

  • original passport/identity document (recognized by the Russian Federation)
  • migration card
  • passport-size photo
  • invitation letter from university (the Immigration Services will do it for you)
  • visa application form (the Immigration Services will do it for you)
  • student agreement
  • Rossotrudnichestvo invitation (in case you have obtained your place at university through a Russian Government Scholarship)
  • document of registration with the Migration Service (read more here)


For student visa enquiries:

South Ural State University
Immigration Services
Room 150-151, Main University Building
76, Prospect Lenina
Tel.: +7 351 267 93 30; + 7 351 272 33 02
E-mail: applicant[at]susu[dot]ru

Useful links:

  1. Immigration Services at South Ural State University
  2. Russian Student Visa
  3. Russian Laws and Visa Policy

We always look forward to welcoming you at South Ural State University!


You are reporting a typo in the following text:
Simply click the "Send typo report" button to complete the report. You can also include a comment.