Rev Waskaduwe Siri Sarana
Ph.D. Studies in Linguistics
“You can enjoy your life while studying here”
– Why did you decide to apply to Russia?
– My first degree is philology and my Master’s degree is linguistics. I also have two postgraduate diplomas in archeology and psychology. In my childhood, I fell in love with Russian literature and I had a dream to go to Russia and study Russian language and read Russian authors in Russian.
– How did you get into SUSU?
– In Sri Lanka, people like Russia a lot. We have a Russian embassy where they have that Center for Russian culture. I’ve met a teacher from Chelyabinsk there, and she told me about SUSU.
– What do you think about the overall experience?
– Before I came here, I’d learned about the Russian soul from Russian authors. And when I came here, I realized the thing was true.
– Is the local area nice?
– It is a wonderful place. The Urals and Chelyabinsk are wonderful. There are lots of great places you can visit like Chebarkul, Zuratkul, Miass and Turgoyak (i.e. famous lakes in Chelyabinsk Oblast).
– Are the people friendly?
– I’d been worried about communicating with people from Europe and Russia. But when I came here, I realized it was so easy. People are friendly here.
– What are your plans after graduation?
– I love Sri Lanka and I love Russia. I want to have more experience here after my graduation. Russian language is like an ocean, I know only a little bit and there is so much more I want to learn. If I go to Sri Lanka, I will definitely have some great experience to share.
– What advice would you give to international students who are going to study at SUSU?
– When I first thought about studying in Russia, my friends and family didn’t support me, but I’d made my choice. After I came here, I realized it is the best choice I’ve ever made in my life. So, if somebody asks me “can I study in Russia?” or “is it good to study in Russia?”, I’d say “don’t think too long. The answer is yes”. And if they ask me where in Russia they can study, I’ll invite them to study with me here, at SUSU. It’s a great place to be. Enjoy your life while studying here.