South Ural State University is one of the leading Russian multidisciplinary universities with the fundamental scientific basis and high standards of specialist training. It is consistently ranked as one of the top Russian universities in national and international rankings. The university is multinational and nowadays is a home for more than 2,300 international students from 52 countries.
Abdelrahman Almani came from Palestine to get a Master’s degree in Philology (Theory and Practice of English). He answered some questions about his study at SUSU and his plans for the future.
- Why did you choose Russia to study?
- I heard a lot of good things about Russian universities from my acquaintances who got their degrees in Russia. They told me that education has a strong scientific basis, tuition costs are suitable for all levels of students and the quality of education is high. Also I was interested in visiting Russia because of its cultural diversity, beautiful sites and the weather that is different in all seasons.
- How did your family feel about your moving to another country?
- Of course when they first learnt about my decision it was difficult for them to accept. But time passed and now they feel quite normal about the situation as they know that I am comfortable here and adapted to Russian culture.
- What do you like most about university life?
- Every day I go to university and meet my professors and supervisors. I always get very happy as the people help me become a real teacher and an interpreter. They do their best to keep our interest and passion.
- What do you do in your free time?
- Actually the question should be “What do you do IF you have free time?”. My study takes a lot of time and sometimes I don't even have a minute to take a stroll. If I have free time I prefer to practice some sport at the SUSU Sport Center.
- Is the local climate suitable for you? How do you stand Russian winter?
- It was difficult to stand the frost for the first time, but for right now I can enjoy the winter, snow, snowdrifts and warm clothes.
- Do you plan to come back home after graduation or do you want to stay and work in Russia?
- After getting into the Russian system of education I’ve realised that I wish to stay here and get a job in an educational institution and continue my study for Ph.D. Not long ago our department head told me that I would get a chance to work as a lecturer at SUSU after my graduation next year. I was so happy to hear that!
- What opportunities do you have for academic studies at the university?
- Students of my major have the opportunity to publish articles in international scientific journals.
- What do you advise an applicant who only chooses a university in Russia?
- I would advise choosing a university not only by its academic level but also by its organisation of the extracurricular activities. If a university has a system of supporting international students, you will get an excellent diploma, make friends and remember your student’s years as a great period of time.
Let us remind that foreign citizens who have some questions connected to visa procedures can learn all the details regarding the documents by calling 8 (351) 267 93 30 or asking a question on Facebook.
If you want to get a prestigious degree at SUSU in English you may read about English-taught programs by clicking the link.
In the official group of South Ural State University on Facebook you may read the last news of the university or ask your questions.
Or just contact us:
International Student Support at the SUSU International Office
Tel.: 8 (351) 272 30 86