International applicants, who enrol in the Master’s degree and postgraduate programmes, can study for free at South Ural State University (SUSU) by winning in the Open Doors International Olympiad of the Association of Global Universities. SUSU, as one of the leading universities in Russia, is the organizer of the Olympiad.
As many as 21 Candidates and Doctors of Sciences of South Ural State University are ready to become academic advisors of international Master’s students and postgraduates in several fields: ranging from literary criticism to industrial ecology.
Those who are interested in the Computer Science and Data Science programme will be mentored by the Candidate of Sciences (Engineering), Head of the Department of Electronic Computing Machines of the SUSU School of Electronic Engineering and Computer Science Dmitriy Topolskiy. The main direction of his activity is the development of smart systems and automation of processes.
– Dmitriy, what is the purpose of the SUSU’s participation in the Open Doors Olympiad?
– Winners of the Olympiad will become SUSU students, meaning that the level of students’ training will be high. It is always a pleasure to work with motivated students with high background knowledge. These students and us are like-minded people.
– You are the academic advisor in the Computer Science and Data Science programme. What are your responsibilities?
– Academic advisor’s responsibilities include properly setting tasks and objectives for the implementation of research by a postgraduate. Moreover, the process of writing dissertations in Russia differs from the one abroad, so international postgraduate need help in adapting to our requirements. Also, the informal side of collaboration is important. We try to create conditions for postgraduates to prove themselves, help them to learn Russian. Nonetheless, the main work is conducted in English and we have an experience of such collaboration: the Internet of Things Master’s degree programme in English.
– What do participants of the Olympiad need to do to have you as their mentor?
– The main requirement for candidates is profile education, future Master’s students and postgraduates must know not only how to write programs, but also how they work in equipment. Moreover, it is important to have an idea of the future work in mind, because there might not be enough time to implement it without a headstart. We are focused on high performance results, publications in scientific journals of the first and second quartiles, as well as support of our research with federal grants.
– What will the participants of the Open Doors Olympiad receive?
– The participants of the Olympiad will receive an experience of collaboration with top Russian specialists, such as scientists of the School of Electronic Engineering and Computer Science. Many of them have worked abroad and now take part in international projects. Besides, Master’s degree students and postgraduates will be working at such laboratories as Samsung IoT Academy Laboratory, Emerson PlantWeb Laboratory, Information Security Research and Education Centre of Kaspersky Laboratory, Smart Home Technologies Laboratory, organized together with leading world companies.
South Ural State University (SUSU) is a university of digital transformations, where innovative research is conducted in most of the priority fields of science and technology development. In accordance with the strategy of scientific and technological development of the Russian Federation, the university is focused on the development of big scientific interdisciplinary projects in the field of digital industry, materials science, and ecology. In the Year of Science and Technology, SUSU has become the winner in the in the competition under the Priority-2030 program. The university acts as a regional project office of the World-class Ural Interregional Research and Education Centre (UIREC).