Theoretical and Applied Chemistry Department of Institute of Natural Sciences and Mathematics launched English-taught Master’s program Chemistry. Chemistry for Environmental Engineering. This program helps to integrate into the international educational environment and to make cooperative plans for students’ education.
The ecosystem, community of living organisms in conjunction with the nonliving components of their environment where we live, provides natural services for humans and all other species that are essential to our health, life and survival.
Environmental Chemistry deals with the study of the effect of chemicals on the environment. It studies how chemicals get into the environment, the changes they undergo once introduced into the environment, the number of chemicals in the environment and how they enter the organisms and other things from the environment and the damage they cause.
“The problem of environmental protection is crucial for the modern world. Therefore, highly qualified experts are in need for the industry. It became the reason for us to launch a new program “Chemistry for Environmental Engineering” focused on understanding and developing solutions for environmental problems. For example, chemistry for environmental engineering helps to develop methods and procedures to reduce the contaminants or the chemicals in the air, which improves the quality of air. Cleaner air with fewer chemicals leads to less damage to the lungs. The distinctive feature of the program is that it is English-taught, therefore, a multicultural learning environment is created for students from different countries,” says Olga Sharutina (D.Sc. in Chemistry, Professor), the Program manager.
The program is unique since it includes training courses explaining the most up-to-date methods of environmental protection. The professor staff giving lectures in the program includes leading professors of SUSU and guest foreign lectures from different universities. They are Neso Sojic, Professor of Electrochemistry, Université de Bordeaux – INP Bordeaux, Institut des Sciences Moléculaires, Head of Analytical Nanosystems Laboratory (France), Dragan Manojlovic, Full professor, University of Belgrade - Faculty of Chemistry (Belgrade, Serbia), Igor Krivtsov, PhD (Chemistry), Ulm Universität (Ulm, Germany).
The key professional disciplines include courses that make it possible to learn:
– existing high-tech methods of environmental protection, energy- and resources-saving technology, based on the modern chemistry advances: the use of nanostructured (photo)catalysts for destruction of organic pollutants that are resistant to oxidation, the electrochemical methods of emission and decomposition of pollutants, the modern photovoltaic systems for solar energy conversion;
– methods of production and investigation of ultradispersed and nanostructured materials for environmental protection;
– methods of environmental condition evaluation, of analysis for the most dangerous toxicants, of physicochemical environmental study, and of planning engineering activities to decrease environmental pollution;
– new progress in synthetic chemistry, development of green chemistry as a new research area.
While getting the education at the program student have the opportunity to take part in collaborative research projects with foreign universities such as University of Edinburgh (UK, Scotland), University of Oviedo (Spain), University of Belgrade (Serbia), publish the findings of scientific project work in peer-reviewed international scientific journals and participate in conferences.
The research activities can be carried out in such fields as
- synthesis and application of heterogeneous (photo)catalysts for environment protection processes;
- study of environmental pollutants with the view of their recycling and deactivation;
- modern photovoltaic materials for energy-saving technology;
- new microporous materials for electro-chemical decomposition of pollutants in water.
Graduates of the program are welcomed in environmental companies, industrial sector, laboratories for studies of environmental quality and companies that design equipment for pollution reduction.
Let us remind that foreign citizens who have some questions connected to visa procedures can learn all the details regarding the documents by calling +7 (351) 267 93 30 or asking a question on VK.
If you want to get a prestigious degree at SUSU in English you may read about English-taught programs by clicking the link.
In the official Telegram Channel of South Ural State University you may read the last news of the university or ask your questions.
Or just contact us:
International Student Support at the SUSU International Office
Whats App, Telegram: +7 (902) 607 99 64
Tel.: +7 (351) 272 30 86