One of the leaders of Russian higher education – South Ural State University (SUSU) – is located at the border of Europe and Asia, in Chelyabinsk. Nowadays more than 400 Chinese students are successfully studying at SUSU. The most popular programs chosen by Chinese students are International Relations, Philology, Linguistics, Economics, Mechatronics and Robotics, Power Engineering.
A SUSU student from China Yang Jin studying at the Institute of Linguistics and International Communications told us about his life and study in Chelyabinsk.
- Why do you like Russia, Chelyabinsk and SUSU?
- Actually it is hard to answer the question but I consider Russia to be my second homeland, Chelyabinsk as the second hometown, and SUSU as my second alma mater.
- What do you remember most about your study?
- The time I just arrived in Russia I was very curious. I was surprised practically at everything. My classmates were from all over the world and we didn’t speak Russian very well. It was really hard for us to communicate, so we often got into funny situation. But smile is the same all over the world and it can always help. I can’t forget the most unforgettable smiles of my teachers and fellow students.
- How do you plan to use your education in future?
- After graduation I am going to cam back to China and become a teacher.
- What was your greatest challenge about living in Russia?
- I guess the most difficult thing was communication. Inside our campus it is quite ОК as our professors take good care of us. They always try to talk slower and they’re always patient with us if we don’t understand anything. But there are always things that we must face by ourselves. We listen carefully to what other people say, then try to express what we want to say. Obviously, our speech may be imperfect and we use various gestures and mimes to help us express ourselves.
- Did you get any help from your compatriots having arrived to Chelyabinsk earlier than you?
- When I arrived here, there were not many Chinese students. They helped me a lot and I did the same thing a year later.
- Do you take part in student life (volunteer center, School of Young Leaders, sport clubs, dance clubs, choir)?
- I was not a member of any student club but I participated in many extra-curricular activities organized by the university, like a cooking contest or a badminton competition.
- What perspectives does a specialist with Russian diploma have in your country?
- I can find a job without any trouble as the Ministries of Education of our two countries recognize each other’s levels of education well.
- Why do many universities try to attract international students for studying?
- To my mind it is done for internationalization as it is a trend nowadays. SUSU is doing a really good job for that. International recognition and international ratings improve every year. This factor can also stimulate local economies.
- Do you keep in touch with your compatriots who got SUSU degree? Where do they work?
- I keep in touch with some people who graduated from South Ural State University - some of them work in the country’s public administration and some work in private companies. I guess they are quite successful.
- What would you wish your compatriots who are choosing a university now?
- I mean, this is one of the most important choices of your life, and you need to know what subjects you want to study. Try to choose a promising university. I want everyone to get to the university of his dreams.
No doubt I recommend SUSU - it’s a really good choice, I know it by myself.
Let us remind that foreign citizens who have some questions connected to visa procedures can learn all the details regarding the documents by calling +7 (351) 267 93 30 or asking a question on VK.
If you want to get a prestigious degree at SUSU in English you may read about English-taught programs by clicking the link.
In the official Telegram Channel of South Ural State University you may read the last news of the university or ask your questions.
Or just contact us:
International Student Support at the SUSU International Office
Whats App, Telegram: +7 (902) 607 99 64
Tel.: +7 (351) 272 30 86