In the first semester of project-based learning, Master’s students of the Department of Building Materials and Products of the SUSU Institute of Architecture and Construction studied national standards in construction, got acquainted with manufacturing at OOO Simvol Beton and GK UralNIIstrom enterprises, and prepared papers on their topics of study.
In the beginning of 2019, the Master’s students moved from theory to practice and completed a course of specially-developed laboratory projects. For the students to complete practical lessons, the industrial partners provided the project-based learning group with cement, granulated blast-furnace slag, flue ash, and microsilica.
Throughout their training, the group of Master’s students worked in the laboratory daily under the supervision of the project head Boris Trofimov and co-head Kirill Shuldyakov. The students worked on the testing methods fixed in the national standards through practical training.
The laboratory work was unique in its theoretical calculation of the obtained results to ensure their reliability verified through statistical analysis, for future plotting and correction of the approximated dependence. It is of vital importance that all of the data obtained by the Master’s students are reliable, and that these data can be compared with other data in the future. The Master’s students received instructions on how to operate the equipment, thanks to which they will able to complete research independently, only asking for advice when necessary.
Some of the Master’s students are planning on completing research using the equipment of partner businesses. Each week, the Master’s students will report on the progress of their work and discuss the results they obtain with their advisor. These data will be the first practical chapter of their future final papers.
Work completed by the Master’s students during their research in the laboratory:
- Determining of the normal viscosity of cement paste per GOST 310.3;
- Determining of the normal viscosity of cement paste with the plasticizer Relamiks (VLK 102.2) per GOST 310.3;
- Determining of setting time per GOST 310.3;
- Determining of the uniformity of changes to the volume of cement paste per GOST 310.3;
- Determining of the fineness of grinding of cement from residue remaining on a sieve per GOST 310.2;
- Calorimetry of the binding agent with normal viscosity with and without additive;
- Determining of bleeding per GOST 310.6;
- Determining of specific surface area on a PSKh-12sp device;
- Determining of tensile strength during compression and bending per GOST 310.4, with and without additive;
- Determining of tensile strength during compression and bending per GOST 310.4 after vacuum processing in the 2+3+6+2 mode at 85℃ with and without additive.