Dear lecturers, workers and students!
From the bottom of my heart I congratulate you on inclusion of South Ural State University into the ranking of the world’s best universities!
This is the first time when SUSU got included into the ranking of the world’s best universities according to Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) British Consulting Company.
QS World University Rankings is one of the most influential university rankings, compiling which specialists evaluate operation of higher education institutions from various aspects. SUSU became the only university of the Chelyabinsk region presented in the QS ranking.
This is a significant event not just for the education sphere but for Russia in general. This is our common victory! Colossal working experience of the university, highly-trained academic staff, scientific research, innovative potential – all this allows maintaining position as the leading university of Russia, perform training of highly-skilled specialists who are in-demand at the labor market, and augment achievements as well as reach the new global levels of development.
I sincerely wish our university well-being, talented students, innovative breakthroughs, further development and prosperity.
Rector of SUSU, Chairman of the Council of University Rectors of the Ural Federal District
South Ural State University continuously maintains and improves its positions in both national and international rankings. This is the result of systematic work of the university in various directions. Improvement of SUSU’s positions in rankings proves its global competitiveness, favored by increasing recognizability of the university in global education space.
South Ural State University for the first time got included into the ranking of TOP-1000 universities of the world according to Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) British Consulting Company. This ranking is considered to be one of the most influential global university rankings. Each year, a research is carried out in order to evaluate more than 4 thousand of universities all around the world. By its results, a ranking of the best 1000 universities as well as rankings by specific disciplines and regions gets compiled. In QS WUR ranking, Russia is represented by 27 universities; for 3 of them, SUSU included, this is the first time of being included into the ranking. SUSU is the only university of the Chelyabinsk region included in QS WUR.
Ranking method: on the basis of 6 metrics, the ranking evaluates universities in 4 areas: research, teaching, employability and internationalization. 4 metrics are based on objective quantitative data, the other 2 are based on surveys of scientists and employers.
Metrics for position calculations:
The goal of RUR project is to provide a transparent complex tool for comparing universities all around the world for maximally vast audience: university applicants, analysis specialists, people making decisions in the sphere of higher education development at the level of individual universities as well as at the national level. Universities in RUR ranking get evaluated by 20 parameters united in five measurement areas: teaching quality (40% from the university’s score), quality of research (40%), internationalization level (10%), and the level of financial sustainability (10%).
The following principles were laid in the foundation of the ranking:
- Stability of selection, reduction of volatility in positions and scores of universities;
- Even distribution of indicators between areas of measurement;
- Equal weight coefficients inside areas of measurement.
Worldwide Professional University Ranking is compiled based on three areas of university ranking: academic ranking, BC Index ranking, and reputation ranking; positions of universities in global and national rankings as well as results of an expert survey of International Scientific Council members get taken into account.
Worldwide Professional University Ranking is compiled based on three areas of university ranking:
- Academic ranking (52%): academic potential of a university. The number and composition of students and research and teaching staff of a university are considered when compiling the ranking
- BC Index ranking (24%): information availability at the English version of a university web site’s homepage. The following factors are taken into account when compiling the ranking: general information about the university (its description), academic information, communicative possibilities
- Reputation ranking (24%): university positions in global and national rankings as well as results of an expert survey of International Scientific Council members get taken into account.
Webometrics Rankings (or Ranking Web) is a system of the world’s universities ranking based on a combined indicator, which takes into account both the volume of web content (the number of pages and files) and the visible influence of these publications by the number of external citations. The goal of the ranking is to encourage universities to publish more qualitative information in the Internet.
Ranking methodology is based on 1:1 correlation between the type of activity and its result. Data is assessed by the following metrics:
- Impact (50%): all external incoming links leading to a university from the third parties.
- Presence (5%): total number of web pages located on the main web domain.
- Openness (10%): the information from Google Scholar citations.
- Excellence (35%): articles published in international journals with high impact factor.
The goal of UniRank University Ranking is to reflect approximate popularity ranking of the world’s universities, based on popularity of their websites from the position of reliability and quality. The ranking is not intended to compile ranking of higher education institutions or their programs by quality of education or the level of rendered academic services, and is not an academic ranking.
This ranking is calculated by a special formula based on the data of 5 web metrics:
- Moz Domain Authority (indicates the number and quality of external links to the website by the data of Google search system).
- Alexa Global Rank (this indicator accounts the number of visitors and the number of pages reviewed using Alexa system).
- SimilarWeb Global Rank (this service helps searching information at any website. It compares websites’ resources and visiting statistics with error limit of 15-35 %. At that, it provides a lot of additional information such as the structure of search traffic, keys, and websites similar by their content).
- Majestic Referring Domains (indicates the number and quality of external links to the website according to Majestic search system).
- Majestic Trust Flow determines the strength of links on the website.
The goal in compiling the ranking of universities is to evaluate the ability of universities to provide its alumni with high-quality knowledge, skills and abilities regarding conditions for their obtainment and the result of their application. Training quality of a university’s alumni is evaluated by quantitative parameters of their educational and research activity as well as by qualitative characteristics which reflect the opinion of key reference groups: employers, representatives of academic and scientific societies, as well as students and alumni.
In 2018, 30 thousand respondents took part in surveys. Ranking functional was determined on the basis of analysis of the following integral factors: conditions for obtainment of high-quality education at the university, the level of employability of the university alumni by employers, and the level of the university’s research activity.
Performance of universities is evaluated by six parameters in a 1000-point grading scale; integral grade is formed by 6 main areas: education (20%), research (20%), social environment (15%), international and interregional cooperation (15%), innovations (15%) and the university brand (15%). Based on each of the areas, six private rankings get published as well.