Dear lecturers, workers and students!
From the bottom of my heart I congratulate you on inclusion of South Ural State University into the ranking of the world’s best universities!
This is the first time when SUSU got included into the ranking of the world’s best universities according to Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) British Consulting Company.
QS World University Rankings is one of the most influential university rankings, compiling which specialists evaluate operation of higher education institutions from various aspects. SUSU became the only university of the Chelyabinsk region presented in the QS ranking.
This is a significant event not just for the education sphere but for Russia in general. This is our common victory! Colossal working experience of the university, highly-trained academic staff, scientific research, innovative potential – all this allows maintaining position as the leading university of Russia, perform training of highly-skilled specialists who are in-demand at the labor market, and augment achievements as well as reach the new global levels of development.
I sincerely wish our university well-being, talented students, innovative breakthroughs, further development and prosperity.
Rector of SUSU, Chairman of the Council of University Rectors of the Ural Federal District
South Ural State University continuously maintains and improves its positions in both national and international rankings. This is the result of systematic work of the university in various directions. Improvement of SUSU’s positions in rankings proves its global competitiveness, favored by increasing recognizability of the university in global education space.
South Ural State University for the first time got included into the ranking of TOP-1000 universities of the world according to Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) British Consulting Company. This ranking is considered to be one of the most influential global university rankings. Each year, a research is carried out in order to evaluate more than 4 thousand of universities all around the world. By its results, a ranking of the best 1000 universities as well as rankings by specific disciplines and regions gets compiled. In QS WUR ranking, Russia is represented by 27 universities; for 3 of them, SUSU included, this is the first time of being included into the ranking. SUSU is the only university of the Chelyabinsk region included in QS WUR.
Ranking method: on the basis of 6 metrics, the ranking evaluates universities in 4 areas: research, teaching, employability and internationalization. 4 metrics are based on objective quantitative data, the other 2 are based on surveys of scientists and employers.
Metrics for position calculations:
The goal of RUR project is to provide a transparent complex tool for comparing universities all around the world for maximally vast audience: university applicants, analysis specialists, people making decisions in the sphere of higher education development at the level of individual universities as well as at the national level. Universities in RUR ranking get evaluated by 20 parameters united in five measurement areas: teaching quality (40% from the university’s score), quality of research (40%), internationalization level (10%), and the level of financial sustainability (10%).
The following principles were laid in the foundation of the ranking:
- Stability of selection, reduction of volatility in positions and scores of universities;
- Even distribution of indicators between areas of measurement;
- Equal weight coefficients inside areas of measurement.
In RUR Natural Sciences ranking 20 indicators of university evaluation are used, which are grouped into 4 categories of measurement (with 5 in each category):
- Quality of teaching (40%);
- Quality of research (40%);
- Level of internationalisation (10%);
- Level of financial stability (10%).
RUR Technical Sciences ranking focuses on four components in total:
- scientific and research activity of a university;
- quality of teaching;
- financial stability of a university;
Worldwide Professional University Ranking is compiled based on three areas of university ranking: academic ranking, BC Index ranking, and reputation ranking; positions of universities in global and national rankings as well as results of an expert survey of International Scientific Council members get taken into account.
Worldwide Professional University Ranking is compiled based on three areas of university ranking:
- Academic ranking (52%): academic potential of a university. The number and composition of students and research and teaching staff of a university are considered when compiling the ranking
- BC Index ranking (24%): information availability at the English version of a university web site’s homepage. The following factors are taken into account when compiling the ranking: general information about the university (its description), academic information, communicative possibilities
- Reputation ranking (24%): university positions in global and national rankings as well as results of an expert survey of International Scientific Council members get taken into account.
Webometrics Rankings (or Ranking Web) is a system of the world’s universities ranking based on a combined indicator, which takes into account both the volume of web content (the number of pages and files) and the visible influence of these publications by the number of external citations. The goal of the ranking is to encourage universities to publish more qualitative information in the Internet.
Ranking methodology is based on 1:1 correlation between the type of activity and its result. Data is assessed by the following metrics:
- Impact (50%): all external incoming links leading to a university from the third parties.
- Presence (5%): total number of web pages located on the main web domain.
- Openness (10%): the information from Google Scholar citations.
- Excellence (35%): articles published in international journals with high impact factor.
The goal of UniRank University Ranking is to reflect approximate popularity ranking of the world’s universities, based on popularity of their websites from the position of reliability and quality. The ranking is not intended to compile ranking of higher education institutions or their programs by quality of education or the level of rendered academic services, and is not an academic ranking.
This ranking is calculated by a special formula based on the data of 5 web metrics:
- Moz Domain Authority (indicates the number and quality of external links to the website by the data of Google search system).
- Alexa Global Rank (this indicator accounts the number of visitors and the number of pages reviewed using Alexa system).
- SimilarWeb Global Rank (this service helps searching information at any website. It compares websites’ resources and visiting statistics with error limit of 15-35 %. At that, it provides a lot of additional information such as the structure of search traffic, keys, and websites similar by their content).
- Majestic Referring Domains (indicates the number and quality of external links to the website according to Majestic search system).
- Majestic Trust Flow determines the strength of links on the website.
The goal in compiling the ranking of universities is to evaluate the ability of universities to provide its alumni with high-quality knowledge, skills and abilities regarding conditions for their obtainment and the result of their application. Training quality of a university’s alumni is evaluated by quantitative parameters of their educational and research activity as well as by qualitative characteristics which reflect the opinion of key reference groups: employers, representatives of academic and scientific societies, as well as students and alumni.
In 2018, 30 thousand respondents took part in surveys. Ranking functional was determined on the basis of analysis of the following integral factors: conditions for obtainment of high-quality education at the university, the level of employability of the university alumni by employers, and the level of the university’s research activity.
RAEX Ranking Agency (RAEX-Analytics) also publishes university reputation rankings in the extended fields. The rankings reflect the results of universities assessment by respondents with regard to quality of education, demand for graduates among employers, as well as the level of scientific-and-research activity. The representatives of the academic and scientific communities take part in the surveys, as well as the representatives of employer companies, students and graduates.
The rankings within Engineering, Natural Sciences and Mathematics and within Economics and Management comprise 50 universities of Russia, which are considered to be the best ones in these fields by the respondents. South Ural State University holds position 28 in the field of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, and position 38 in the field of Economics and Management.
Performance of universities is evaluated by six parameters in a 1000-point grading scale; integral grade is formed by 6 main areas: education (20%), research (20%), social environment (15%), international and interregional cooperation (15%), innovations (15%) and the university brand (15%). Based on each of the areas, six private rankings get published as well.
The Ranking of Demand for Universities of the Russian Federation is a national ranking of the Russian Federation universities under the Social Navigator Project by MIA Russia Today. The ranking shows the demand for the Russian institutions of higher education on part of the Russian economy. In 2017 the survey covered 448 universities from 81 entities of the Russian Federation.
Specialists divide universities as per the following fields of activity:
- classical universities;
- engineering universities (universities of technology);
- agricultural universities;
- management field – economics, finances, law;
- universities of humanities (pedagogical, philological);
- medical universities.
Universities are evaluated as per the following criteria:
- Demand for trained specialists among employers;
- Commercialisation of the intellectual products produced by a university;
- Demand for the research-and-development products.
South Ural State University holds position 9 in the ranking of Classical Universities as of 2017. The share of graduates who received job placements amounted to 96.7%.
The ranking is the summary ranking of the universities which participate in the Vladimir Potanin Fellowship Programme, and reflects an aggregate expert evaluation of the achievements shown by university representatives participating in the Foundation programmes – both students and faculty.
The ranking is built based on the indices in all the Programme contests:
- Scholarship contest for Master’s students;
- Grants contest for Master’s faculty;
- Contest of socially important projects and the Foundation School.
The ranking is being published every year, starting from 2004, includes 75 universities, and is one of the most authoritative and independent evaluations of the quality of education in Russian universities.
In 2018 Forbes magazine published its first ranking of Russian universities, in which South Ural State University took the 90th place. The ranking aims at evaluating the quality of the Russian education and finding out which universities release specialists with entrepreneurial talents, who could feature in the Forbes List in the future or become part of the Russian political elite.
The ranking is based on the data of the activity efficiency monitoring for more than 600 institutions of higher education prepared by the Ministry of Education. The method of ranking takes into account not only the quality of education, but also statistical data on the employment of graduates, the demand for them in regions, and the number of entrepreneurs among them. Also, Forbes studied the biographies pf over 1,600 representatives of the Russian elite — members of the Forbes List and their children, heads of private and state-owned companies, public officials, and parliamentarians.
SUSU in the Rankings
- SUSU Enters the Rankings of the World’s Top Natural Science Universities for the First Time
- SUSU Listed among the World’s Best Universities in the QS Ranking
- “SUSU in the World’s Education Elite”: Conference on Inclusion of the University in the QS Ranking of Best Universities
- SUSU Took First Place in the World Ranking UniRank
- SUSU Enters New Ranking, UniRank TwitterUniversity Rankings 2018-Russia
- SUSU is among the Best 22 Universities of Russia
- SUSU Listed in Top-10 of the Invention Activity Ranking Among Russian Universities
- SUSU Enters the Rankings of the World’s Top Natural Science Universities for the First Time
- SUSU is Among the World’s Best Technical Universities for the First Time
- SUSU Enters the Top-600 Best World Universities
- SUSU Listed Among the Top 100 Best Russian
- SUSU Listed in RAEX Ranking
- SUSU Enters the RUR International University Ratings for the First Time