South Ural State University staff became participants of a historical excavation. The work was completed by the “South Ural” Fund for Assistance and Preservation of the Historical Heritage, the chairman of which is the Senior Researcher of the SUSU Institute of Eurasian Studies, Gayaz Samigulov.
Around the excavation are the streets Kirova, Kommuny, and Yelkina, which were earlier named Ufimskaya, Skobelevskaya, and Aziatskaya. In the internal part of the quarter are homes, which are located on all three of the streets. Among them are such famous buildings like the building of Valeev, the owner of the Youth Fashion clothing store. He was a merchant who came from Troitsk, and owned warehouses and administrative quarters. Also along Kommuny Street were homes of one famous business person – Vakano, who owned the Samara-Baku beer brewing factories.
While performing the excavation, the archaeologists ran into pavement, which was adjacent to cellars and an icebox and goes under Yelkina Street.
The Head of the SUSU People and Technologies of the Ural Museum, and the leader of the archaeological excavation, Yulia Vasina commented on this significant find for the city.
“It’s interesting that we found the south border of Chelyabinsk up until 1898. There was a moat and a wall here. When the city expanded, the wall was removed, and the moat was filled. Above the moat we see two pavements. One of which was made of granite, where we can see one interesting detail: between the stones, in a few places, horse shoes got stuck. This is the first excavated portion of the streets, and for now the only one in Chelyabinsk. We hope that we’ll be able to preserve this find!” says Yulia Valerievna, the Head of the People and Technologies of the Ural Museum.
According to Yuliya Vasina, the pavement was covered because new land was gained by the city, and the southern border was relocated.