One of the leaders of Russian higher education – South Ural State University (SUSU) – is located at the border of Europe and Asia, in Chelyabinsk. Nowadays more than 400 Chinese students are successfully studying at SUSU. The most popular programs chosen by Chinese students are International Relations, Philology, Linguistics, Economics, Mechatronics and Robotics, Power Engineering.
A SUSU student from China
- What city did you come from?
- My native city is Chángchūn, it is a bi city in the north of China. First I came to Russia at the age of 14 as my father worked here.
- Why did you choose your future profession?
- I study at the program “Philology. Russian as a Foreign Language”. I was always interested in Russian language and culture. I think Russian sounds like a song. There are a lot of songlike words and a lot of vowels. I find the language very beautiful, so I chose to learn it.
Russian is hard for me to learn, it is difficult to read and understand big texts. I don’t get many of the words in these texts, but I try to cope with them. After getting my diploma I hope to help other people learn this beautiful and difficult language.
- Did you have any challenges when studying in another country?
- The greatest challenge was Russian language. I didn’t understand Russian at all before I came to Russia. First it was hard to listen to lectures in Russian, because we have classes with Russian students and they speak very fast. My Russian teacher and my friends helped me very much.
Because of the problem I decided to enter the Foundation Program and only after that entered my Master’s program.
- How did you choose the university?
- I tried to find lots of information about different universities, read students’ reviews. South Ural State university is popular in China and I decided to study here to get the profession of my dream.
- What was your parents’ reaction when they learnt you were going to study in another country?
- Of course they were nervous and worried about me as they were afraid that I’m not used to living in Russia. But I like living here and usually tell them some funny stories by phone.
- What do you like most about the extracurricular life of the university?
- The Association of International Students and Alumni of SUSU helps international students to get used to the university and city and organize lots of activities for us. I took part in the celebration of Chinese New Year and other holidays. Also I’m a member of the Chinese Student Union which helps Chinese students if they face any challenges. For example, they helped me get my health insurance when I just came to Russia.
- What can you tell about living conditions?
- They are very good. There is a great park not far from the university where I like to walk. Also there are restaurants, supermarkets, a copy center, drugstores. Everything that students need for comfortable life.
- Can you give any advice to young people who are choosing a university now?
- I advise students who want to come to Russia to start learning Russian language in their country beforehand. Try to find Russian friends on social networks to communicate with them, it will improve your skills. When you start your studying in Russia, do not miss classes, do your homework well and answer questions actively in class. It will help you become a brilliant student!
Let us remind that foreign citizens who have some questions connected to visa procedures can learn all the details regarding the documents by calling 8 (351) 267 93 30 or asking a question on Facebook.
If you want to get a prestigious degree at SUSU in English you may read about English-taught programs by clicking the link.
In the official group of South Ural State University on Facebook you may read the last news of the university or ask your questions.
Or just contact us:
International Student Support at the SUSU International Office
Tel.: 8 (351) 272 30 86